This week I shall be covering two different topics; the latest Google algorithm update and Video Search Engine Optimisation (VSEO)
Google Panda 4.0 Algorithm Update
Google originally launched Panda in February 2011, mainly as a change in its search results ranking algorithm. The main purpose of the update was just to keep those low quality and low content sites away from the top ranking results and give the actual quality sites their due.
Panda 4.0, which Google and Matt Cutts confirmed began rolling out a couple of days ago, has definitely caused some waves in the search results. While it’s not exactly clear what has changed and what’s been affected, a lot of sites are seeing an improvement in traffic.
Here is a useful tool you can use to see how the Google Algorithm updates have affected your clients websites: http://www.barracuda-digital.co.uk/panguin-tool/
http://seoupdates.info/difference-between-google-panda-and-google-penguin/ (Very useful article explaining the difference between the Google Panda and Penguin updates)
http://searchenginewatch.com/article/2345884/Google-Launches-Panda-4.0 (I recommend reading this one!)
Video Search Engine Optimisation (VSEO)
YouTube accounts for over 98% of all videos viewed at Google sites! So it is very important to ensure that all videos that are properly optimised.
So, how do we optimise videos?
– Create an engaging video
– Use your keywords wherever you can, titles, descriptions and categories
– Use Google Video sitemaps
– Build a page and optimise the page for every video produced
– Use Google Analytics and YouTube Analytics to monitor views
– Utilise thumbnails for videos
– Allow user comments
– Promote videos using social channels and press releases
– Have a detailed video description with a link to the company site
– If possible, use the video script in the description